Sunday, November 12, 2006

My friend and Bolivia-travel-buddy Ginger sent me this link from BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/6136268.stm

It's about about the road we UAC folks took every time we wanted to see a movie, or buy dictionaries for our students, our meet friends at the airport. I remember going in one time just because I wanted my students to have folders to keep all their handouts in (although I did bring back some cheddar cheese and La Paz bread).

Becky and I just compared notes with Skype (she was there for years) and we both agreed this story was a little overly-dramatic. "Must have been on the road on a bad day," she said. I agreed. But then she told me a story about the time she saw a Jeep hanging on by only two wheels. In the rainy season. Underneath a waterfall.

Nobody got hurt though, she assured me. "A couple ropes and 50 people pulling got them back on the road."

Ahhh, I miss Bolivia. (Oh, the photo above is from my first trip down the road from La Paz: Hugh holding the holy water the driver keeps in the glove box. The nuns used it to bless us all as we started our descent on the road.)

1 Comments:

At Sat Nov 18, 12:08:00 AM CST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zac!
You've been on my mind a lot lately, so I thought I'd track you down. I hope you're well.
Care to catch up?

Jen Fairchild
Class 'O 92
JLFairchild@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home