Thursday, July 13, 2006

Margaret's already flying home and Mike and I leave the Flying Dog Hostel for the airport in 4 hours. That means this 6 months in South America is coming to an end. And THAT means I have even more reflecting than normal to do. Luckily, it also meant one last beer -- ironically my first Guinness in South America.

So, in the absence of time and eloquence for articulating much of anything now . . . I'll let Hafiz speak for me:

I have a thousand brilliant lies
For the question:

How are you?

I have a thousand brilliant lies
For the question:

What is God?

If you think that the Truth can be known
From words,

If you think that the Sun and the Ocean

Can pass through that tiny opening Called the mouth,

O someone should start laughing!
Someone should start wildly Laughing -- Now!


from "I Heard God Laughing: Renderings of Hafiz" by Daniel Ladinsky

2 Comments:

At Sat Jul 15, 08:05:00 PM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many thanks for the link you have provided to my son Hugh, your stories and pictures have been such a comfort
Hugh's mom

 
At Tue Jul 18, 09:30:00 AM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is a link to a photo competition on the BBC news website - thought you might be interested in it. I have enjoyed reading your blog and looking at your photos. My son is on his way to volunteer at Carmen Pampa within the next couple weeks...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4773297.stm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home